sticks & stones

sunday night I got to do one of my favorite things... I went to a concert! I went with some of my favorite Austin friends to stubbs bbq to hear dave barnes play. and oh, it was good. really good :)

I've been a big dave barnes fan for awhile now, and I thought I had all of his albums... until I realized sunday that I didn't have his very first ep. he is one of the best live acts I've seen in awhile... if you haven't seen any of his youtube videos, you have GOT to check them out. he's hysterical, and that's putting it mildly. anyway, I loved every minute of the show... stubbs is an incredible venue... it was standing room only, and we got there early, so there were just a few people between us and the stage. love it!

dave shared his heart about africa and the mocha club, and sang some of my favorite songs. the best part of the night though, was his last song. he said he was going to get off the stage and come sing in the middle of the audience, which happened to be literally right in front of me.  if you don't believe me, check out this picture:



dave barnes' head
dave barnes' head
see what I mean?

anyway, he sang a song that I've heard maybe once or twice, but it's off of his first ep, and the track title is "sticks and stones." I downloaded the song when I got home and haven't been able to get it out of my head since then. the words are so simple, but so true.

there have been so many times where sharp words from someone have been incredibly hurtful.  it does leave a scar.... one that's much more painful than any physical pain I've had to endure. it really does feel like "they beat the life from me." it's not easy to walk through, and definitely not easy to forgive, but I've forgiven those who've spoken words that have hurt, and I have to say it's much easier than not forgiving.

in light of that, I try to make my words the kind that are encouraging and uplifting, rather than ones that leave a scar. I know I'm not always successful at doing this, but it's something I really try to do because I know how much it hurts on the receiving end.



"Pleasant words are a honeycomb,

sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."

Proverbs 16:24


all that to say, here are the lyrics of dave barnes' song "sticks & stones." if you're not a fan, you will be after you take a listen.



You would have kept those words on your tongue,
If you had known the hurt they had done.
While your fists stay there, right by your side,
Your words they bruise me deep inside.

I'd rather have sticks and stones and broken bones
than the words you say to me.
'Cause I know bruises heal and cuts will seal,
but your words beat the life from me.

Sometimes your words are thick as lead,
You swing them strong upside my head.
But what hasn't killed has made me strong,
So I'll take my scars and move along.

I'd rather have sticks and stones and broken bones
than the words you say to me.
'Cause I know bruises heal and cuts will seal,
but your words beat the life from me.

Goodbye is the best way that I know,
To forgive and still be letting go.

I'd rather have sticks and stones and broken bones
than the words you say to me.
'Cause I know that bruises heal and cuts will seal,
but your words beat the life from me.






this isn't my video, but it's of dave (on the right) and matt wertz (on the left - who I also love) singing the song.

Comments

Popular Posts