while I'm waiting

"if God, like a father, denies us what we want now, it is in order to give us some far better thing later on. the will of God, we can rest assured, is invariably a better thing." -elisabeth elliot

so true. I read this quote a few weeks ago and I've been trying to let it sink in. there are so many areas of my life where I feel like God has denied me what I (in my own flesh) want now, because he has something far better in store in the future. It's the waiting part that really gets me. we live in such an instant gratification culture that it makes it hard to wait.

as I've prayed and read in my quiet times lately, I feel like the word "wait" keeps coming up. I'm being challenged to wait on God to answer my prayers and work everything out in his timing.

as my mom would say, "patience is a virtue." and it just happens to be one that I'm not great at. there are some easy things that I'm waiting on, some things I'm waiting on myself on (does that make sense?) and some things I'm waiting on answers from God. so, I'm just waiting... and waiting... and waiting.

psalm 5:3 reads:

"In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice;

In the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation"


I think the most important part of this verse is the last part where it says "in expectation."

last week while we took our HS students on a mission trip to new york city, we were able to visit the brooklyn tabernacle for their tuesday night prayer service. people line up hours before it begins and wait down the street and around the block to get inside because they are expecting God to do something. they are expecting him to show up and answer their prayers. they are a congregation of people who pray believing that God can and will answer their prayers.

how much more effective would our prayer lives be if we truly prayed in expectation?

so, even though I might be waiting, I'm waiting in expectation for God to do big things, answer my prayers however he sees fit, and to use me.

a song that I've been listening to the last couple of months really speaks to this...

john waller - "while I'm waiting"
I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord

Comments

Christie said…
I am doing Beth Moore's Esther study right now, and last week she talked about waiting. Waiting on an event, person, or thing is exhausting. We are called to wait on the Lord. (Isaiah 40:31) Even when we don't know what He is doing, God is never inactive.

I miss you! We have to figure out a time to meet up in Waco or something.

Popular Posts