best friends

today, I feel like a grown-up. sometimes, I just feel like I'm still a kid, but not today... my best friend of 21 years had her first baby today, and I couldn't be more thrilled for her and her husband!

Jennifer and I met in first grade at Conway Elementary. let's just say that it was an unlikely friendship that has stood the test of time. we laughed a couple of weeks ago talking about how much has changed since then...

as kids we played barbies, make believe, and house, went to GA camp, carpooled, crossed a major road with our cabbage patch dolls, read baby-sitters club books, swam, got mad at each other on the way to school and made up on the way home, dressed up, dreamed big dreams, and so much more.

as middle schoolers, we, well... didn't really talk. we ended up in the guidance counselor's office in 6th grade, and you'll just have to ask me for the details on that one... it's a great story. ha!

as high schoolers, we became the best of friends again, had sleepovers, talked about boys, went through awkward phases, Jenn and Ryan started dating in 10th grade (and the rest is history), we went on trips together, spent days at the beach, got our first cars, had our hearts broken, went to camp together, had front-seat parties, talked about the Lord, made plans, cried, laughed, went to homecomings and proms together with our dates, and talked about how someday we would get married, be in each other's weddings, and be someday be moms.

in college, we were in different states, but our friendship continued... we made road trips between Texas and Mississippi, talked on the phone, texted, and one day I got a call from Ryan, asking me to come to a surprise party the night of their engagement. the next year we graduated college and a week later, I stood beside her as the maid of honor in her wedding.

may 2006 
as adults, we both ended up in Dallas after college and loved being able to get together all the time! we have continued to laugh and cry together, make plans, dream big, and talk about the future. she has stood by me through the most challenging times in my life, and knows me better than anyone. even though we don't talk every day, and don't get to see each other as much as we would like, she's still my best friend. I know that some day, she'll stand by me as my matron of honor when I get married. I wouldn't have it any other way. I hope that 50 years from now, we'll be sitting together, still laughing and telling stories.

Jenn called me on my birthday last year, and said "well, I've got a surprise for you, but it won't arrive until January..." after a few seconds of confusion, I screamed and we celebrated together! best birthday call ever.

last night, I was almost asleep when I got the text that they were headed to the hospital. I had such a hard time sleeping because I was just so excited! when she updated me this morning, all of these memories came flooding through my mind, and I sat and prayed for my best friend, and wept tears of joy over this life-changing day. this little girl has been prayed over for so long!

I can't wait to go to Dallas soon and meet their sweet baby girl, Katelyn Elise. I can't wait to see her story unfold, and I'm so thankful to be a part of her life.

I hope that she is lucky enough to find a best friend like I have found in her mom.

Comments

Popular Posts