He isn't safe, but He's good


Last year, the Lord broke down a lot of walls in my life that I had put up. It was a tough year in a lot of regards, but I’m starting to see the fruit, and it’s really exciting.

At some point, I came to the realization that I believed a lot of lies. There were a lot of things about myself, about God, and about situations that I had believed that simply aren’t truth. It’s amazing how quickly the enemy jumps in and tries to create doubt and distrust. A lot of last year was spent putting truths up against those lies and standing on the firm foundation of Scripture as my rock. I’ve been in church all of my life and have spent the last few years serving the church in various capacities. It’s easy for people to believe that those in ministry have all of the answers, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I wasn’t doubting God, but I was doubting what He could do.

I’m confident in who I am, but was struggling with who I am in Christ and how He sees me.

I just kept asking if what he was doing was really for my good.

Have you ever struggled with something similar?

A lot of this came to light while I was leading a Bible study for a group of women who were going through drug and alcohol rehab. It put a lot of things in perspective, and taught me so much about the goodness of God.
"Safe?... Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.”
- C.S. Lewis, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
This is one of my favorite C.S. Lewis quotes. Safety isn't guaranteed. There are a lot of things in life that aren't guaranteed, but God is good. He's always good, and he has my best interests at heart. He equips us with everything we need, but there's a great deal of responsibility on our part. 

I had the privilege of being a decision counselor last weekend at one of our events, and the Lord spoke powerfully about freedom from sin and secrets. I was able to encourage a group of women to claim the freedom that is ours in Christ, but that doesn't mean it's easy from here on out. There's a point at which we have a decision to make - do we hold on to the past and live in bondage to our sins and lies or do we let the Lord fight the battle? So many of us hang on for dear life to things that are actually drowning us. Jesus came to rescue! Let him do it.

This verse stood out to me last weekend:


No matter what's in our past, in Christ, our sins are washed away. 

Redeemed.

Forgotten. 

Forgiven. 

From now on, I’m putting truth up against lies. I’m fighting the enemy with the Word of God (the sword we’ve been given to fight with) and I’m not backing down.

He isn't safe, but He's good. He can be trusted.

Comments

Just ran across this post and loved it so much. It made me think about the new song by the Sidewalk Prophets, "Keep Making Me". Have you heard it?

It's a scary song to sing, but so beautiful. We just have to keep remembering God's faithfulness to us and trust Him...even when it doesn't feel safe.

Blessing to you :)

Popular Posts