silence

I'm the girl who is awkwardly uncomfortable with silence. I can always find a way to interject, and it's usually in an awkward way. Ha! My family and friends can attest that I'll say random things to avoid silence. 

I'm a verbal processor, which means sometimes I just need to get my thoughts out there so I can think them through. I've got friends who are fantastic listeners, and I often preface a conversation with, "I just need to say this out loud."

As I'm getting older, I'm learning that it's ok to be silent. 

Often, The Lord speaks the loudest when we're quiet. I don't always have to listen to music (although right now I'm listening to the new All Sons & Daughters album, which is phenomenal), and it's ok to just be quiet. 

Even when I'm in the mode of being quiet, God is sometimes the one who is silent. Have you ever experienced a time when God seemed to be silent? As I've been reading through the Old Testament the last few months, I've seen so many occasions when God stayed silent. There's an area of my life right now where God just seems to be silent. Sometimes, we just have to wait. And wait. And just keep listening. 

I was reminded last week that God does things for our good and for His glory. Even in the times where it may feel like He's silent, I'm confident that He is actively at work. I love the moments when we can look back and see His hand at work, all the while thinking He was being silent. I'm currently re-reading Mark Batterson's book The Circle Maker, and I love this quote... 
"The reason many of us miss the miracles is that we aren't looking and listening. The easy part of prayer is talking. It's much harder listening to the still small voice of the Holy Spirit. It's much harder looking for the answers. But two-thirds of praying hard is listening and looking."
It's so true... it's easy to cover up silence and even the opportunity to listen with talking. It's hard to stop and listen. 
And Moses said to the people, “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.” (Exodus 14:13-14)
Maybe you need more time in silence...  Or maybe you feel like God is being silent. Either way, be obedient. Listen for His voice, set aside time to be in the Word and hear from Him, and wait on him to speak. Stand firm right where you are, where you're planted, and trust him to speak. The Lord is on our side.

Comments

Allen Jackson said…
So grateful to be on the sidelines cheering you on. Your words are insightful and on point. Shhhh. . .
Rebecca said…
You are wise beyond your years, sweet friend... Prayers for you tonight.
Xo,
Rebecca

Popular Posts