Obey

Don't you wish it was easy to obey? To automatically respond with, "Yes, God!" anytime he asks anything of you? Oh, goodness... so do I! Unfortunately, it's just not the case, and I have a strange suspicion that it's not going to change anytime soon. Ha! As believers, we are called to obey, no matter what it may look like to us on the outside. When God says, "Go" we just go.

I feel like the word Obey is one that the Lord is constantly bringing to my mind... I think it's because it's at the heart of our relationship with Him. He desires for us to be faithful in everything, but we can't do that unless we are walking in obedience. In my mind, obedience is putting feet to our faith. If we really believe, we will obey. If we really trust, we'll obey. It's as hard as putting one foot in front of the other.

Did you read that last sentence? Even if you did, read it again.

It's as hard as putting one foot in front of the other.

Some days, it's just plain hard to move your foot. It's often easier to waste time than to obey, it's easier to sleep late than to obey, and it's easier to do everything else that we had on our to-do list than to obey. See my point?

Obedience isn't usually the easy thing, but oh, it's such a sweet thing. There is such peace in knowing that you have been obedient to God.

In his sermon on Sunday, my pastor (David Platt) made the point that Jesus is worthy of absolute surrender, and it's just so true. He can be trusted. He is good! 

When we choose to obey, we are surrendering our lives to Him... even if it's just one step at a time.

And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 
For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?
(Luke 9:23-25 ESV)
 

Comments

Popular Posts